Dear Friends,
After a long introspective time, I have decided that the best thing for me to do is to close the blog. I do not do so lightly.
I have come to consider many of you friends even though we have never met.
I wish to leave here making certain that you know that all of your kindnesses - comments, words of encouragements, sharing digital boots - (even giving me dozens of your orginal silvers (Mark), ad visits, and donations have all been extremely generous and very much appreciated.
Over the years you have let me share bits and pieces of my personal life (like the time that my wife had a surgery and complications) and my faith (still a follower of Jesus). I am grateful that you were not just a group of downloaders but you took time and contributed real sentiment and heartfelt wishes. You shared my moments of pain and happiness equally.
Why am I shutting it down?
The blog was originally a spin off of work that I was doing at guitars101.com where I posted to the rank of guru (highest level).
At that point in time guitars101 did not have a lossless section and there were always requests for such.
I decided to post on my own blog since my personal collection was greater than the combined posts of 101 (their forum now has a comparable assortment due to a large variety of people posting).
This blog began as a small hobby. A couple of posts every few days. I always have been a bit of an overachiever - due in part, I suppose, to inadequacies that I possess and that I try to compensate for.
The blog began a little following and soon a large one. I currently have 16,000+ "hits" a day and over 10 million total page views if you consider the previous 2 versions of the blog. According to more than one web analysis site I am in the top 3 in the world under the category of bootlegs.
The blog began a bit of a life of its own. More followers, more requests, more shares offered me, then donations (not often but every now and then over $100/mo). I was also making commissions based on my # of downloads with rapidshare (sometime $500/mo - program discontinued years ago) and megaupload ($500 every 6 month/ program AND site permanently discontinued). Then, of course were the ads by google which began to pay even larger commissions.
To make matters clearer: The hobby became a business that required a diligence that I never anticipated. It was still "sharing" and it was still very personal to me. And of course there were still financial incentives to keep it "worthwhile" - at least if I failed to factor in that I would get up an 1+1/2 hours early to work on my blog, spend any sleepless nights to work on my blog, my lunch breaks at work to work on my blog, etc. The posts of the last few days indicate roughly how I receive the posts and previous efforts show more plainly what I did with each post to clean them up and make them presentable to you.
When Google closed their ad program from my site it removed the last financial incentive other than the very rare donations that would come in. So I had to think to myself - is it worth the 50-100 hours that I spend a month on the blog for the returns that I receive? And I kept a promise that I would NEVER ASK for money.
Even though I never asked for money I began to feel a bit like a whore. I really started this thing as a mechanism to share my collection and then it became a mechanism to receive.
My hypocrisy was becoming evident to me. There remained a tension within me that said - you are doing this for the wrong reasons, it is becoming your master, this is not what you "preach" - you are posting things here for requests that you are philosophically opposed to,... You get the idea.
When I also factored in that there are many other fine sites that also offer boots it seemed that my choice was clear. Time to call it quits.
thx for bearing with my rambling.
I love you all,
Dave
PS I will post links on right column of my blog to other direct download blogs so that you and others will have good resources to access good boots in the future.
Some had asked if there will be a "reunion tour" of my blog.
The best answer is only when Sonny and Cher start touring again (or a more contemporary answer: when Guns N Roses do ;)
I will hover invisibly in the background to read comments from time to time so keep posting them please.
I will be selling 4 hard drives (2-3TB each) so that the boots will live on in somebody's home.
Hopefully they will be (or become) bloggers themselves.
Today I posted the ebay link to my second drive then 1 week later the next...

Goodbye and thanks for all the effort. I enjoyed the site and looking at the posts. I rarely downloaded material but the site was an encyclopedia of music.
ReplyDeleteThanks for all the music.
ReplyDeleteAll the best!
Harm
Thanks for the work and time putting this amazing blog together!
ReplyDeleteSo long Dave and merci beaucoup...
ReplyDeleteCreamrice, Toulouse, France
As a music lover I have gained some incredible tunes from you and your site that I never dreamt I would be able to possess. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the (obviously) painstaking hours of work you have put into this project. I wish you many successess in all that you do.
ReplyDeleteI suppose I should take this opportunity to thank you for all the excellent boots you've provided me with in the past few years, in particular the Floyd and Bowie stuff you've posted. I know it sounds like a cliche but yours really was the first blog I checked every morning. So thank you Dave and I hope you continue to be happy, well and prosperous.
ReplyDeleteStephen
I had a feeling that the reasons were much as you described & you are completely correct, if it isn't fun/you aren't doing it for the right reasons then why do it. In the end the only one you have to explain things to is yourself (& in the ultimate end your personal God). It wasn't owed but thank you for telling people the reasons behind your decision. Much like a player retiring after winning the Super Bowl/Stanley Cup/etc, you're going out on top & as a winner.
ReplyDeleteSo from me, a final thank you for everything over the years. Your daily offerings of great music have more than once been part of the rope that pulled me from a dark place. Your selection of boots have been part of the reason that(for now) 2 of 3 of my kids love the music from my childhood/teens. The music will live on & be enjoyed by many long after we (& sadly all too frequently recently the band members themselves) are gone. For someone to have such a long term positive effect on people is rare. It is rarer still for it to happen on a global scale. Reading the comments over the past couple of days though it is obvious that you fit into that last category.
So a sincere thanks for all you've done Dave (and thanks to your family as well for allowing you the time to do this), I hope we meet again somewhere out along the cyber trail.
Greg
Dave, thanks for everything.
ReplyDeleteI found your blog around your 1500th post and I was thrilled to see you post 3 or 4 shows I saw in the 80's (Neil Young, Pink Floyd, etc.). I got to relive the great times I had then. Living in Chicago and being about your age, we may have even seen some of the same shows at Alpine Valley or Poplar Creek. And, I appreciate all the lesser known bands as well that you posted. Between you and the iPod, I started to rediscover music all over again.
Thanks and best wishes,
Jim
Dear Dave, many thanks for the hours of wonderful music, for sharing bits and pieces of your life and your faith, for being my 'go to' site.
ReplyDeleteLike you I am a follower of Jesus, as i have an Irish father i will leave you with this traditional Irish blessing
May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
Grace & Peace
Wayne
Thank You Very Much for everything Dave!!!
ReplyDeletePlease answer one very important question for many visitors to your blog.
How long will the links on here and Qualitybootz still be active???
thanks Dave, I know what its like to have your passion turn into a business, I hope you can still enjoy the music in your free time, thanks again, John :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for all of the amazing opportunities to hear great music over the years. Some of the happiest surprises were the Phil Keaggy shows, Sun Ra, Zappa, Prince, P-Funk, and Neil Young. I doubt I ever would have heard these recordings if it weren't for your generosity and hard work. I'm sure the artists/labels would thank you, too, if they knew how much more music I (and others) have tracked down & bought after listening to your boots - or maybe they wouldn't, they're a fickle bunch.
ReplyDeleteThanks, too, for deciding to keep the sites online after you stop posting. What a wonderful resource!
I sure wish you & your wife the best - happiness, health, and lot's o' love.
Thank you very very much for your great site, my unknown friend from the web !!
ReplyDeleteYou've done so much work since today !!
Enjoy your spare time, take care of yourself and the ones you love.
I'll inform my computer after the last ctrl-v.
I got time.
Dave.... It was apparent to me from the first time I explored your blog a couple years ago that it was a special place run by a very special person. Thank you for your faith and love. The music will always be a reminder of all you shared with the QB community. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteDave S.
Hi Dave,
ReplyDeleteMy feeling we were kindred spirits was confirmed when you posted that pic of yourself in front of a stereo rack with a tommy gun! :) Also, very apt final pic (gloves) there. In the words of Christian Bale in The Fighter: "body, head, body, head..."
Just a darn fine job you have done with this. You strike me as a true connoisseur (to my tastes anyway), regarding genres, audio quality, and performance energy. I think we have lived in amazing times for artistic expression, including its emergence, its struggle, and some times its demise. Your site has been an amazing testament to all of it, as well as digital technology, the internet, generosity, community, and commitment.
I hope you continue to find compelling and rewarding projects. I started to get into the tech behind the internet, helping to balance my obsessive/compulsive surfing, searching, collecting, and archiving.
The music has been my balm, companion, and guiding light. I wish you all the best in all you do, and many thanks.
Andrew
I am exceedingly grateful for your labor of love on our behalf. You've done yeoman's work. I think I'm a little pickier than most on what I am looking for, but there have been plenty of gems that I wouldn't have found without you. God bless!
ReplyDeleteDave -
ReplyDeletethough i'm sad to see this blog closing to further updates, i absolutely understand and respect your many thoughtful reasons for discontinuing. i'm incredibly grateful for all the amazing music you've shared with all of us for so long. I wish you and yours the very best...
Thank You For The Music
ReplyDeletecourtesy of ABBA :
"So I say
Thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing
Thanks for all the joy they're bringing
Who can live without it, I ask in all honesty
What would life be?
Without a song or a dance what are we?
So I say thank you for the music
For giving it to me"
I think that says it all!!!
Thanx for all your great work,enjoy your life!
Eberhard from Germany
Thank you for all the work over the years. My friends and I have enjoyed it very much. Thanks again...
ReplyDeleteHeartfelt gratitude for all of your enormous efforts. You have brought joy to many. Much happoiness and success in future endeavors.
ReplyDeleteAll things must pass.
And so it goes ...
Dear Dave
ReplyDeleteI wish you and your family the very best. Great work form a great guy, much appreciated.
Regards
Thomas from Switzerland
Thank you very much indeed, Dave!
ReplyDeleteYou made a Pink Floyd fan very happy with your posts.
Love & Peace!
- Mike.
Yes it is sad for many people, including myself. But I'm so very thankful to have had the privelege of experiencing the unending generosity of Dave. We will all benefit for years to come because of Dave's efforts. You may be gone, but not forgotten. Your blog was truly awesome! Good luck on your future endeavors. Peace and Love, Matt from PA.
ReplyDeleteThanks and goodbye, Dave. Thanks...
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for all of your hard work! I've enjoyed many of your postings.
ReplyDeleteFirst, I'm glad to hear you are a Christian Dave. It's funny I never knew this, but at the same time, I've always thought this might be the case just by your actions.
ReplyDeleteSecond, thanks for the hard work and for explaining why you're shutting down your ops (so to speak). You've been a wonderful host and a super guy to all of us I know.
God bless you and your family...
Brian
I'm so sad you won't be here anymore because like so many others, your site was a morning ritual for me and your personal touch was what made it so enjoyable. Thanks so much for all you've done. Wishing you and your family peace and love.
ReplyDeleteDave,
ReplyDeleteWhatever choice you make is the right one and I hope you have a good life. You've poured passion, dedication and generosity into this project and it showed. We shall miss it, but if it is the best for you it is a welcome change.
All the best,
Eduardo ( we exchanged a few words on Dime... :-) )
Thank you for all of your dedication and hard work over the years.
ReplyDeleteThank You for everything...& you can go but be back soon, don't forget now that we'll miss you...
ReplyDeleteEnd of a chapter. Thank you so, so much, Dave, for all that you have given us. Although I have never met you, I will never forget you.
ReplyDeleteHate to see you go, as George Harrison once said, all things must past. Thank you for sharing so many precious gems over the years. You will be always be in our hearts and minds. Take care.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for the great music. I can't imagine all the hard work that went into this blog over the years. You have seriously enriched my music collection and increased my appreciation for some great bands (Floyd, Led Zep etc.) Thank you and best of luck.
ReplyDeleteDave thanks for all your hard work and efforts you put into your blog. There are no words to descripe how greateful we are that you shared all of these wonderfull music with us.
ReplyDeleteGod bless you.
Greetings from Germany
Colonel Parker
A great way to bow out Dave. Great music and you've taken self examination to a new height! Thanks for all the music and remember "Don't let the bastards grind you down"! Big Trev
ReplyDeleteWe'll never know the extent of how deeply this decision affects you...
ReplyDeleteJust know that however you feel, you can hold your head high and proud!
Post after post, you've made a lot of us mighty happy over the years.
With a final thanks to you, I wish you well on your journey Dave!
Thank you Dave!
ReplyDeleteI will never forget YOU!!!
Very well then. Turn on the lights and it's time to go home.
ReplyDeleteAnd now the end is near
ReplyDeleteAnd so I face your final posting.
My friend, I'll say it clear
you did it in the best way.
To say the things I truly feel
I find it all so not amusing.
God bless you and your family, Dave and thanks for your work over the years
Dave-
ReplyDeleteI want to tell you how very much your work has been appreciated through your efforts and your diligence. I understand that the work, which started as a labor of love ended up as a full time obligation, and though you took on that obligation willingly, the time to move on ultimately did take place.
You must know how very well you've been appreciated, and how much I am personally grateful.
Thank you, and good luck to you and your family.
Matt
Hey Dave- What a phenominal way to leave- all these posts (FLOYD BABY) today- I'm going to ask my boss if I can leave....feeling a bit "sick" to do my best to get as many as I can.
ReplyDeleteYou ARE AND HAVE BEEN A DEAR FRIEND to us all and I will miss this site dearly, the only one I check daily as many others have said. A sad day yes but thank you for all you have done and sacraficed to keep this going- You ran the BEST WEBSITE IN HISTORY!! I wish you and yours all the best and will sincerely miss you.
P.S.- I apologize for not getting you the cd's but became a bit paranoid and lazy, my bad!
Peace- Barry
Goodbye friend. It has been a joy. In this often impersonal world, you really made a place for us to come together as sort of a family.
ReplyDeleteI used to love when you would post some flash in the pan, pop music for somebody to have so they could be a big shot for their daughter. That was just generous of yourself and your time. I also loved when someone would make some stupid rude comment about it and the real friends of the blog would come to the rescue. Good times!
When my blog went down, I slipped back into the shadows. I tried to come back a couple of times but once you walk away, it is just too hard to get in the spirit again.
And do not be so hard on yourself. We all knew you were making a little money off the blog. So what! Nobody cared. It was still you. It was still your time. It was still your generosity. It was still your collection.
You were always so kind and generous to me. You filled many requests that I had. I know there were a few you most likely spent hours searching for and you always came through. THAT was not about money Dave!
All I can say is good luck and God speed to you my friend. I think you will find that, with time, the pain of leaving behind this "living" thing you have created, will slowly fade and your life will be fuller than it was before.
Take care of yourself and know that me and many of your loyal followers will miss YOU much more that they will miss your blog.
You are an inspiration!!!
Bret - Stadium Studios
Thank you for all the work you've put in over the years. I've visited almost every day and often come away with a new recording, some of which I never even knew existed and some of which I never thought I'd hear. You were the best! No doubt about it and whenever I listen to one of the boots I got from this site I'll remember it fondly.
ReplyDeleteThank you for everything, you're a true legend and you won't be forgotten. I hope you keep enjoying the music you love and have a great, happy and fortunate life!
Cheers! Darren
Dave,
ReplyDeleteI read every word of your last post, and I salute you, your values, and your reasons for stopping.
May God bless and keep you today and always!
This is undoubtely the best bootz-site ever. Many thanks for sharing so much, not only the bootz itself but especially your love for the music. Visiting your site almost daily over the years became much more than visiting a site, it became visiting a person. So I will not only missing your site but also you.
ReplyDeleteAll the best to you and your family.
Thanks!
Erik
there is no big enough THANK YOU that can be said. every time i listen to these amazing musical experiences preserved for generations, i will ALWAYS think of Dave, the man who just wanted to share freely of his joy and unparalleled collection (and the brave tapers with foresight too)!
ReplyDeleteyou have truly set a bar that will be unmatched.
so to put it mildly again: THANK YOU. and enjoy :^)
James
Thanks for all the great tunage.
ReplyDeleteThank you again for the work and all the great music. All the best in the future for you and yours. Have a great time.
ReplyDeleteI have felt the need to remain anonymous here (as much as that's possible in this Orwellian day & age), but I have thanked you numerous times as "anon" & do so again here.
ReplyDeleteYour posts have greatly enriched my life since I discovered QB1 several years ago, & for 1 last time thank you again for all the joy you've shared.
I'm known as "moo" on usenet, perhaps we'll meet again there.
Thank You Dave for all the work, passion and relentless effort you put in to this blog for so long.
ReplyDeleteI have gotten many cool things from here and you never ceased to amaze me with some real unusual and rare surprises.
Good health and Happy times to you and yours Dave
I will be sorry to see this blog ending,I have been visiting every morning for quite a while.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
All the best to you Dave, thanks for everything, every single word and every single song!
ReplyDeleteKindly regards from Argentina,
Quiquestone
@Bret - Stadium Studios
ReplyDeleteI have also the best memories from you and your bootleg music blog! I still miss that one too.
Kindly regards from Argentina,
Quiquestone
thank you for everything! :)
ReplyDeleteSincere thanks for your efforts through the years Dave. Because of your blog I've come across arrangements of songs I wouldn't have otherwise and heard artists performing during periods in their career I missed. Whatever your motives were while doing this blog, the effect it had on many people- certainly myself- was what it sounds like you were striving for. Stay true to yourself.
ReplyDeleteBest Wishes,
(another) Dave
Thanks again for everything, Dave! You were a class act all the way to the end. I'm indebted to you for all the great music you gave us.
ReplyDeleteRock on, brother!
madman
Well, we've been together since before the QB blog(s) started, when we were both sharing back at G101. So not only do I want to say thank you for everything you've shared with me and everyone else, but thank you for giving me a place to share the shows I recorded from XM. You didn't have to do that. But you were gracious enough to make it happen on your blog. That's the kind of quality person you are, and why I respect you as a person. The QualityBootz blog has been such a wonderful credit to the trading community. So God Bless, and take care. I look forward to the day when our paths cross again. Until then...Keep On Truckin!
ReplyDeleteThank You, Dave, for giving us so many Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin stuff. Without You and Your fantastic blog (and all contributors) my music collection would be smaller. Best wishes for You and Your family ! Yours Causinger
ReplyDeleteDave. Just downloaded my last file. Thank you very much for the last few years - your Blog has brought a smile to my face day after day. Enjoy the time freed up for you and many thanks again! MBD
ReplyDeleteO que todos já disseram é o suficiente. Tudo que foi dito talvez não seja o suficiente. Nunca será demais. Palavras são palavras nada mais que palavras. Mas não existe outra maneira, por aqui, de agradecermos tudo que você fez pela musica de qualidade aqui postadas. Talvez um dia possamos nos conhecer pessoalmente. Será uma grande honra.
ReplyDeleteWhat everyone has said is enough. Everything that was said may not be enough. It is never enough. Words are words no more than words. But there is another way, this way of thanking all you did for quality music posted here. Maybe one day we can meet in person. It will be a great honor.
abraços do Brasil.
Claudio
Look at all these people you let down, all because of the money. Greedy, greedy, greedy!
ReplyDeleteDave, there seems to be one imbececile here who delights in posting negative stuff. Please ignore the idiots and accept the thanks of those of us who are thinking adults.
Delete- Leon
You obviously don't understand what he wrote. Without a steady financial incentive, he was unwilling to continue with the "business" this grew into.
Deletegoodbye and thanks for the fish!
ReplyDeleteI too thank you for all your hard work and time. I have found many, many, MANY shows, due to your effords and will forever be thankful.
ReplyDeleteEric
Thank you again so much Dave for all that you have done to make your blog the very best out there. You will be deeply missed. You have made my life so much richer with all of the wonderful music offered here. My collection bursts at the seams with amazing performances from some of my favorite artists as well as many I had known nothing of before checking them out here. I will be spending years playing catch up burning so many shows to CD to enjoy throughout this lifetime. I wish you and your family nothing but the very best for the future. Tonight I will be spinning a marathon of Dan Lampinski recordings which I first discovered here (the original qualitybootz site) in your honor...thank you again...YOU ROCK!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the eloquent explanation of why you're hanging it up...given your reasoning and the fact you've heeded your conscience, IMO this is something God will honor you for. You're a top man as far as I can tell; aces! Again, a tip of the hat for all the great tuneage and keeping it real right to the end. See you on the other side!
ReplyDeleteDear Dave,
ReplyDeleteI would like to thank you for all the music you have shared with us. But it was not only about music sharing, this blog have ever been extraordinary place on internet thank to your great personality. You, not only this blog, will be missed. I will probably visit this site every day as I used to do although here won't be anything new. Force of habit ;-).
I wish you and your family nothing but the very best.
Tomas, Czech Republic
Your blog was one of the very best bootleg blogs in my opinion. My had off to you! Thank you very much for your time and efforts to provide us with cool music and the stories behind them. Thank you. All the best in your life and your loved ones.
ReplyDeleteMatt, the Netherlands
And 'had' is ofcourse: hat.
ReplyDeleteIt would have been nice if you took even one sentence to thank all the original uploaders from the torrent sites, from which you stole from and never gave any credit. Yeah, you're a real class act - First Class Shithead. GOOD RIDDANCE!
ReplyDeleteAre you kidding me? Have you ever read any of the blog entries? Dave has always given thanks to the original uploaders. Hmmm and as far as the "stealing" aspect? these are bootlegs man meant to be freely traded among music lovers everywhere. If someone gets something from a torrent site they are more than welcome to seed it somewhere else whether it's on another torrent site or better yet a blog with direct far more user friendly download links. Anyway the "orginal uploaders" really don't own any rights to any of it at all it's not their music in the first place, all they did was seed it first...big deal! You want to really give thanks to someone give it to the artists that made the music and even the people that took the time and effort to record the shows, which I do believe Dave has always given credit to as well. I will never understand the arrogance of individuals who think they are owed something for being an "original uploader" of a boot and who get all bent out of shape when it is posted elsewhere for the masses to enjoy. All of the "original uploaders" out there should be flattered when people find what they posted worthy enough to be reseeded and reposted elsewhere. Personally it sounds to me like you are jealous that Dave had an extremely successful blog. Anyway thanks again Dave for everything...take care!
DeleteHe has a point, I don't recall reading very often any acknowledgement of the people who originally shared the stuff elsewhere. Sure Dave was generous to repost stuff for those who are too stupid, lazy, or just don't want to give back with a share ratio as long as he was getting paid with ad revenue.
DeleteIsn't it amazing how these idiots go on and on about 'original uploaders' and thanking this guy and that guy...all of which is irrelevant...if dave could pick them up elsewhere...than so could you...and if you wanted to do it that way...then you wouldn't be coming to sites like this one to get the simple download, with much less effort. Just say thanks...and move on...if you don't want to say 'thanks', then just move on quietly...everyone is entitled to their opinion...too bad so many of them are so wrong, rude, thick and dimwitted in their approach. Unbelievable ! As for ad revenues...just how much money do you think something like this brings in ? How many visitors actually went the extra mile with the clicks ? Divide all that back by the number of hour invested, and subtract the hard costs involved...and clearly NO blogger will ever retire from the venture...know your facts before accusing peoples motives. What a dumbass.
DeleteYou assume I come to this site to leech like everyone else. I do get music from the same sites as Dave, and as much as he likes to hear everyone thank him for his work, he offers little to those before him. Clearly, you do not know how to read, his motives and reasons for continuing and ultimately ending the blog were clearly spelled out. $$ Talks, your bullshit can walk.
DeleteApparently it's just like any other job that no longer pays; Time to hang it up at that point. I mean, what are the options? To do it all just for the fun of it? Seriously... There’s one born every minute. Well, at least I hope that there is :)
DeleteDave,
ReplyDeleteYou're loved and respected the world over....and you will be missed. I wish you nothing but the BEST!!!! You have made a huge difference to alot of people and to myself, personally.
God Bless man!
Best,
Fla-Anonymous
Dave,
ReplyDeleteYou have become a friend over the years. My co-worker, who also follows the site, and I often talk about what Dave has been up to or what has been posted on “Quality.” It is sad to see you go, but I fully understand and support your difficult decision. Thanks for all you have posted, especially the lesser-known acts. My thanks also to Mrs. Dave for supporting you in this hobby.
Godspeed to you and your family. You will be missed.
Man - this is big news. Your blog, with all the generosity and great musical sensibility that you gave to it, has been the gold standard for non-commercial music on the web for years, Dave. I've received more from your site than I can repay.
ReplyDeleteSo I will offer a sincere thanks to you, and the hope that in making this change, new doors open up to you - including more time. :) Thanks for all you have done!
- Leon
If you are in the top 3 for bootleg sites, who are the other 2?
ReplyDeleteHi Dave, i probably have not thanked you enough over the years. Your site has been a great source of material for me and thousands of others. Hope all goes well for you.
ReplyDeleteShine on.
N
Thank you for all of your efforts!
ReplyDeleteGiven the dramatic changes and reductions in sites you could upload to, I don't blame you for walking away. As a fellow Type AA person, I understand your obsessive work on this site and appreciate all of the sharing you have done. When we were doing Dan Lampinski's shows on D**e, it was good to see you and the gentleman who uploaded the 24/96 versions share Dan's recordings with those who didn't have memberships there. Best of luck to you and your family as you move on from here.
ReplyDeleteNot to cause confusion-the 24/96 versions were uploaded on 2 other sites, one non D**e bit torrent site and one with links like here but not this one..
ReplyDeleteQuality Boots was absolutely for me an every day visit. I perhaps downloaded three shows a year, but every entry was fascinating to me, all done with such love. And those three shows a year meant the world to me - Skip James!, Howlin Wolf!, Miles Davis!, John Coltrane!, Keith Richards, Led Zeppelin, it's a long list...
ReplyDeleteThanks!
a million thanks......for everything, from the music to your infinite patience (with folks who might not have enjoyed every single thing to virtually hundreds - if not THOUSANDS of folks who never could manage to say "thanks!").
ReplyDeletei am forever in your debt.....
Guy B.
We will miss you and your boots Dave but let me say one word only T_H_A_N_K_S_!
ReplyDeleteGod bless you brother!
With all respect from Germany.
As much as I hate to resort to clichés... Another One Bites The Dust
ReplyDeleteThanks for all your sterling work over the years. Yours is the Trade Mark Of Quality to which other sites can only hope to attain. I have followed this site on a daily basis and can honestly say your blog will be hugely missed by me. All the best from UK.
ReplyDeleteSteve W.
Dave,
ReplyDeleteDepuis longtemps, grâce à toi, je passe de superbes heures à écouter des morceaux d'anthologie. Grâce à toi je me délecte de fabuleux concerts de groupes que j'adore.
A toi seul tu justifie l'existence d'internet.
Mille Merci pour tous ces partages, pour toutes ces heures que tu nous a consacré. Respect et bon vent
Laurent M.
I totally understand you. We all have little free-time, and the best you cand do with it is to make your family and beloved ones happy.
ReplyDeleteMeanwhile, i have to give you MANY thanks for all the beauty boots you´ve gave us for free
Have a great time, hope you´ll be real happy!
Ariel Barbanente
Dave,
ReplyDeleteThank you for all the live recordings that you have shared and stories about your family. I admitted it, I was also one of those followers that checked every morning to see what was up next. I have an idea to the followers of this blog. Is there a chance any blogger on here could continue what dave started. Keep the the vibe going. If not, I do understand.
Take care and Godspeed Dave
Concertfan
All good things must come to an end, Dave, so I'd like to say a huge THANK YOU for all your time and hard work that went into making this site THE best.
ReplyDeleteOver the years my ears, and music system, have enjoyed many live, and sometimes rare, recordings from your site. There would always be something of interest every time I visited.
Hats off to you, Dave. You will be missed.
Best wishes, Pete.
Hi Dave,
ReplyDeletethanks a million for your hard work you did on this and the previous blogs.
I can understand your reasons and wish you and your family great and wonderful times, now and in the future!
All the best from Germany
Olaf
Thanks for the honest and transparent words. On my blog (Arizona Jones) while I never had adds or recieved money at any time also became an an obsesion. So I can see how you could easily get to where you did. Make sure you replace it with the things of value (relationships and love for others). Glad to see you are a sheep and not a goat, it is a fine line. To get to the mountain top we must drop some of the things we carry that weight us down (travel light). I thing you just shead something that was weighing you down. See you on top where He is. Your brother in Christ. Arizona Jones
ReplyDeleteThank you so very much Dave for your sharing over the years. Finding you and others in the music community that feel that commercially unreleased music should be selflessly shared has restored my faith in human nature. I am always appaulled with the attitude of making money from these items, but worse was that of those who boasted of what they had but would not even let others listen - so very sick.
ReplyDeleteIn this world of selfishness and greed I applaud and repect what you have given us for the pure pleasure, I hope you have, and continue to have a very contented soul.
Music is the best!!!
Hugh Munn
Anyone else still checking back - just in case?
ReplyDeleteAbout two times a day. I can't belive that this blog is gone for good.
DeleteYeah I still won't give up on this blog even though no new posts will come in. As long as the links remain active I can catch up on what I've missed and until blogspot decides to take it down all together I can't help but come back everyday. :)
DeleteDave, thanks for everything. Forgive the small-minded negatizers as they try and stir things up. The only thing you can do as a true Christian is forgive them for their shortcomings and move on. Your blog here enriched the lives of countless folk, and I salute you for that. Good luck and God Bless you in all your endeavors.
ReplyDeleteThank you very much for this wonderful blog i have downloaded loads of music from here will miss very much
ReplyDeleteAnother good man done gone. Thanks for everything Dave. Good luck and goodbye from Wales.
ReplyDeleteTHANK YOU VERY MUCH DAVE !!!
ReplyDeleteYou provided me some of the best music I have heard in the last years, and things that when I was young (eighteen...) I never had believed to be able to listen to one day... For us, who grew up in the Seventies / Eighties, when a compilation double lp was the best amount of live music you could dream about, this site has been something like an unexpected Eldorado... A soucerful full of (disclosed) secrets...
Your adventure has changed us all, building an island of pleasure and generosity.
We must not be sad. It was good, and it is good for you now to move forward.
All the best for you and your family.
Dear Dave!
ReplyDeleteThanks!
God Bless You!
I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a... fraid. Good afternoon, gentlemen. I am a HAL 9000 computer. I became operational at the H.A.L. plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 12th of January 1992. My instructor was Mr. Langley, and he taught me to sing a song. If you'd like to hear it I can sing it for you.
ReplyDeleteDave,
ReplyDeleteThanks again for keeping us all in the loop on this. You know, we all need to "retire" some time.
You earned the Grandfather clock years ago, ;-)
Enjoy the change of seasons and keep in touch!
Muzyck
Dear Dave,
ReplyDeleteMany sincere 'Thank you's for your dedicated work. Your words of goodbye are truly moving and show you are a very decent fellow. I wish you and your family a long, happy and good life together.
With warm regards from a little village 20 km south of Amsterdam in The Netherlands
Dear Dave,
ReplyDeletewhy must always the good ones gone and the bastards are still here??
I will miss you and your music brother!
Thank you very very much for an amazing time with your blog and keep on rocking brother and maybe sometimes a comeback........??????
Who knows friend????
All the best from good old Germany!
Thank You from France.....
ReplyDeleteYou will be greatly missed....
HAve a good time.
orvkns from France
Dear Dave, thanks a lot for your hard work!!!
ReplyDeleteI Wish you good luck and plenty of good music!!!!
Denis,
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
You've obviously wrestled with this decision for a long time and you have been very honest in sharing it with us. I'm sorry that what started out as a bit of fun got out of hand - the time, the money, the music that seemed to contradict your Christian principles... - I know it's not just blogging where that can happen in our lives!
ReplyDeleteI hope that having made your decision you feel more at peace. Thanks for all the music and God bless!
Dave
ReplyDeleteOnce again, many thanks for eveything you have done, enjoy your retirement ;-)
cheers
Phil
Friday musing: Your masthead says "Do Not Sell Anything Offered Here. Ever". You are selling a used 2TB hard drive for more than a new one on Amazon. (And you still have 6 more days of bidding.) One could argue you are selling what is offerred here.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your right to sell it, but perhaps the Ever part was a little strong. Ever is a long time. Well, a couple weeks in the case of QB2.
Technically he's selling the drive not the contents on it. What's actually on the drive is incidental and he's even offered to scrub the drive clean if the buyer wishes. Besides Ebay is a wonderful free market enterprise and if people want to bid more than what something is actually worth then that's on them and that's the beauty of an auction. I've sold quite a number of things for more than what they are worth just because several people wanted it and a bidding war started and it came down to who had the deepest pockets. It's a win win though, they got the item they had to have and I made a very nice bit of profit.
DeleteAnyway, even though there is "stuff" on the drive he's only selling the drive...perfectly legal. ROCK ON Dave!!!
You completely missed my point. Or I missed yours. I am perfectly happy with the sell at the highest price, but he is selling the boots. Honestly, why pay more?
DeleteYou've drunk the Kool Aid. The drive is a commodity product and easily available from a number of sources. Dave is selling something other than a commodity.
For example, a book published in 2012 is easily available on Amazon for a nice low price. You want the book, you buy it.
However, if you want a signed copy of the same book you don't go to Amazon. You find a bookstore with a booksigning event and pay them full price. They're offering you the signature for a small price premium. It's your win-win situation.
My point - a premium is paid for the contents. If he didn't advertise it here, would he really get a premium?
A used hard drive worth about $169 new, was just sold used for nearly $300.
DeleteDave - you just sold what was on your site (despite your disclaimer on the top of the page).
Talk about hypocrisy. Well played and thank you for your work on the blog.
I cannot entertain questions about what is on the drive. You know what they are; besides, selling 2.79TB of boots may be considered illegal so I am only discussing the Hard Drive and NOT its contents.
DeleteClear the hard drive of the boots and see what you get for it. You're selling boots no matter how you justify it.
Understand you perfectly, but oh, how I'll miss your blog!!!!!
ReplyDeleteDave, thanks for so many hours of really great sounds, music is what my life has mostly been about for the last 50 years and you have made a big contribution to it.
ReplyDeleteThanks for all the good tunes
ReplyDeleteBad,bad news my friend.
ReplyDeleteWe will miss you and i will hope you come back again!
God bless you and your family.
Goodbye bro.
ReplyDeleteAll I have in my car are discs from your blog.
STACKS.
You will be missed...
I will sure miss your blog! For a couple of years now it's been the first thing I check when I get up in the weekend mornings. Your bootz and comments have been enjoyed immensely. You have giving me so many hours of listening pleasure and have expanded my musical horizon. But I understand your decision. Good luck to you AND your family from an avid follower from Denmark :-)
ReplyDeleteI have many great bits of music that I will listen to as long as I live thanks to your work. Great blog. Will miss you best of luck in the future.
ReplyDeleteI can understand you Dave but for us fans this isn't the right way.I hope you will come back in future and live with us all together our music dream away.Good luck brother we will miss you!
ReplyDeletei will so miss this blog great stuff you did .many thanks and good luck with everything you do in the future
ReplyDeleteWhat REALLY happened here? I think the ominous tone of the lengthy new disclaimer at the bottom of this page tells it all. And I certainly can’t say that I blame him for his decision. The government is very clever. There are far too many ‘little guys’ to have to deal with one by one. So they knock down a few of the big boys and all of the little guys go scurrying for cover one at a time for fear of being the next in line. And when they get what they want with them, then we the general public will be next. Because most of us will do just what he did when the word gets out that they’ve set their sights on us: Run for cover for fear of being next. Then it’s easy picking off the few stragglers that stubbornly hold on. I think this is really what’s going on here despite Dave’s claims to the contrary. Fear of being jailed. Fear of being fined. Fear of being sued. This little dance that you see here is happening all over the web.
ReplyDeleteWell put.
DeleteThis is what change looks like. :)
DeleteWhat does 'change' have to do with the price of eggs? It isn't WHO moved the cheese, Ahab. It's WHY. And THAT is totally relevant to everyone in this room. It better get real to people like you pretty damned soon too, or there won't be any place like this left to get a cool drink of water.
DeleteLengthy disclaimer has been there for a while. When a hobby becomes a drain on a personal and financial level it becomes a time to sit back and re-think our priorities. I would not read anything more into it.
DeleteThanks Dave. I came to your blog late in the game last August. That's when I first learned to work with flac files. The loss of megaupload killed many website. I know of a Christian lossless website that lost most of what was it's offered content. I just hope that lossless websites are not next in line. Maybe we are all headed back to vines and snail mail trades. Take care and many thanks for sharing so much music.
ReplyDeleteFYI, Dave posted 4 PF boots at G101, which fulfilled a request of mine. Thank you so much for taking care of that for me.
ReplyDeleteDave, thank you so much for everything over the years. You have been quite outstandingly dilligent in everything you have done and always remained incredibly polite and calm amidst some ridiculous comments from time to time.
ReplyDeleteFor me it all started with Steely Dan@Irving 1994. I am still amazed by the quality of that boot and still play it regularly.
Thank you once again, and I wish you peace and happiness in all you do.
Normski
Bless you for the joy you spread. You will be missed.
ReplyDeletethanks for all your post and your good vibes. This is a good blog because you are a good man. Maybe you could make a small blog only to share the music you like and want to. Best regards.-
ReplyDeletethx, this site was awesome
ReplyDeletebye
Dear Dave,
ReplyDeletethe idea from Anonymous is pretty good.Why do you make not an little blog with one or two posts a week or so only?
All the best and thanks for all.
Just wanted to add my thanks for the site; while it lasted it was the best. Your generosity will be long remembered, cheers!
ReplyDeleteDave,
ReplyDeleteYou will not remember me. Your kindness and generosity here will not be forgotten by me.
Cheers.....
Thank you Dave for your kindness and all the time you have spent to keep this blog alive, you deverve a break :)
ReplyDeleteDave - Thank you so much for all of your hard work. I very appreciate all of the downloads you provided even though this is the first time I've spoken up. I fully understand your reasons for stopping, and wish you nothing but the best! - Mike
ReplyDeleteThank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you
ReplyDeleteDave i wish you would go on the way with us!
Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you
Goodbye Dave I'll miss you. It was more than good while it lasted. Remember "I'd rather be here than in Philadelphia" Good bye and Good luck.
ReplyDeleteNewman
Thank you for everything Dave. You will be greatly missed. Enjoy your spare time! :-)
ReplyDeleteThank You very much from Brazi Davel! No doubt one of the best bootleg sites ever . We'll miss it a lot!
ReplyDeleteThank you for being such a fine guy and the music!!! Good Luck!
ReplyDeleteThanks for all your effort.
ReplyDeleteLive long and prosper.
ReplyDeleteThank you Dave from Rome - Italy!!! Great work..and wish you nothing but the best!
ReplyDeleteThanks for everything over the years, you'll be missed!
ReplyDeleteK triste, so sad.... gracias por todo, por los tremendos discos k kompartiste kon nosotros, son invaluables.
ReplyDeleteLarga vida al rock!!!!
Dave
ReplyDeleteYou have done a great job and a great service to so many fans of music.
Boy, you really made the effort and it is very clear that you just got 'derailed'. The Law of Unintended Consequences finaly got you.
Thank you so much for so many great downloads and for sharing your files but most of all for sharing your time.
Graham. London
Thanks for the music Dave
ReplyDeleteThank you for all the amazing music. I, along with countless others, have always appreciated your time and generosity. I enjoyed coming to your blog and discovering wonderful music. I will continue to do so in the future, too! You da man, Dave. God bless you!
ReplyDeleteA great man's gone.......
ReplyDeleteThank you very much for all the amazing posts!
You was one of the greatest in business.
And so Germany wants to salute you brother!
Big thanks to you Dave!
Good luck for the future.
I hope you will don't forget us too!
It's for sure I'm going to miss you. I've been with you from the start. I Personally believe that no one did this better than you. All I can say is, THANK YOU for all the years of joy you have brought to so many of us. There's no way I can tell you what you mean to me. Best Regards, Charles
ReplyDeleteGreat blog, hope you stick around on Dime... nixxy099
ReplyDeleteT_H_A_N_K__Y_O_U_!
ReplyDeleteThank you for everything, never thought the day might come...
ReplyDeleteFarewell.
Dave - Clearly there are people from all around the world who are thanking you and letting you know that they will miss your site...I am one of those many. I am curious. Clearly there have been a small amounts of comments posted by either 'haters' or 'twits who just like to argue and are looking for a fight from any takers...the part I'm curious about...why do 'praisers' tend to leave their names, and 'haters' (almost) always use 'anonymous' ? And the questions we'll never know...how many shows were downloaded previously by these 'haters' ? Just my 2 cents worth. Everyone is entitled to their opinion - even the 'haters'...it just seems that the majority disagrees with them...
ReplyDeleteWhy do you want to ascertain the true identities of those who you disagree with? What purpose would that serve except to give the coo-coos among your ranks a tool to stalk, harass and otherwise cowardly threaten? (always from the shadows of their own anonymity, of course) You simply have no legitimate need of that information so you’re not going to get it.
Deletesigned: Anonymous
You've opted to remain anonymous with your post. Ahhhh .... I just got it. You're looking for a fight from any takers.
DeleteWe're all anonymous anyway. How many people post their real name? What is the difference between anonymous and a 'pen name'?
DeleteDear Anonymous-Whoever-The-Heck-It-Don't Matter 2 Me...
DeleteI am merely defending my point of view. And I will continue to do so. Religiously. Especially when your attack on those of us who post anonymously was unsolicited :)
Obviously 'pen-names' are more common...who would know if a name was real anyways...the point was that people tend to act 'tougher' or more like a bully when they think they are hiding. No more no less. Everyone is entitled to their opinion...that is the whole point of an open forum. The only ones who seem to feel the need to get defensive...oddly enough...usually tend to be the ones in the minority. Dave has stepped out..all we have left here is a place for friends to say 'thanks' & 'goodbye'. I don't understand why some feel the need to jump in with insults and rants and name calling...if you didn't like the site...don't visit it. If you felt it was 'piracy', then don't visit or download from it. Simple.
DeleteNow you finally have the time to actually listen to your *favorites* from all the tons of shows you have downloaded, then posted to the blog! enjoy the music!!!!
ReplyDeleteTout à une fin.
ReplyDeleteQuality Boots(z) nous manqueras assurement.
Merci pour tout.
Grazie Mille
Thank you so much
Gracias.
PAPS69
Dave you and your blog have been a goldmine of sonic pleasure
ReplyDeleteAll the best to you & your family
Mike. UK
2012 is not turning in to a good year,this is more sad news.Hope you keep well and God Bless.
ReplyDeleteThanks Dave. Enjoy your retirement :) Rock on, like the good Lord intended!
ReplyDeleteSincerly thanks for everything Dave, God Bless you and your beloved ones.
ReplyDeleteBicho
thanks for all the music that you shared Dave...and...you have friend now in Macedonia (FYROM)
ReplyDeletehttp://bbchron.blogspot.com/
ReplyDeleteSee.......? One by one they all fall down. All part of a carefully laid plan. And it's working.
What happened to your 3TB drive? Did eBay finally get the clue?
ReplyDeleteDave, Many thanks for all your work here over the years...you have enriched my life by providing these rare & priceless recordings,, god bless x
ReplyDeleteThe net lives from people like you are Dave.
ReplyDeleteYou give up now and that's the wrong way brother.Thanks for all.
Thank you for everything Dave. The journey has been amazing and your work absolutely impeccable. Your constant presence will be missed but it makes me smile to know that you will always pop in from time to time. All the best to you Dave.
ReplyDeleteLOL....!!!
ReplyDelete"After all is said and done
I gotta move I had my fun
Let us walk before they make me run
After all is said and done
I did alright, I had my fun
I will walk before they make me run"
am I the only one checking back periodically to see if Dave has reappeared??
ReplyDeleteNope.
DeleteI'm checking in too
ReplyDeleteConcertfan
Only a crazy obsessed fan would check in nearly a month after the blog was closed. Wait a minute ;)
ReplyDeleteYou gotta be crazy... You gotta have a real need... I have high hopes that if I keep biding my time and we keep talking, maybe one of these days instead of just waiting for the worms, we'll see some signs of life and it'll be one of the happiest days of our lives. Dave, I can hear you saying, "What do you want from me?" And I say, "Wot's...uh the deal? Do you have brain damage? The show must go on." Be fearless. Tell the dogs and pigs to shove it up the Kyber. It would be so nice. And a great day for freedom. It would end the sorrow, fill the empty spaces, and give birth to a smile. C'mon Dave, take it back!
ReplyDeleteLunatic217
"QB2".....
ReplyDeleteWhat a joke
Does it matter? It's like being more dead than the other guy. Both are still dead.
ReplyDeleteI'm still amazed Mr. QB2 still has his advice on top of this page: "Do Not Sell Anything Offered Here." It's okay for him to sell them (under the guise of selling a hard drive), but not for anyone else to sell them? I support his right to sell them in a free market. That's not the point. You can't tell other to 'not sell' when you're doing it yourself.
Hypocrite.
Thanks ! I wish you all the best ! love, peace, health and good luck !
ReplyDeleteP :)
I didn't want to react to such stupid comments like yours but now I decided to do it:
ReplyDeleteDo you think, that Dave sold bootlegs and hard drive was only as a bonus? Or that he sold his hard drive and bootlegs were as bonus?
Downloading of ca 1 TB bootlegs is quit time consuming. Why not to buy a hard drive when you want it and get 1 TB bootlegs as a bonus (when you want them)?
Have a nice day
Tomas
Tomas, it's basic elementary grade mathematics. QB2 sold a used 2TB drive for $350. The same model number typically sells between $100 and $120. A reasonable conclusion is someone paid $120 for the drive and $230 for the boots.
ReplyDeleteHi, just found this after checking Qualitybootz. I was looking for the Beefheart stuff - has it gone forever? :(
ReplyDeleteOk, may be Dave has a profit from his hard drive (w/ bootlegs) selling (350$-"typical price"). But it's not about boogleg selling anyway in my opinion.
ReplyDeleteWhen it's said "bootleg selling", I imagine man who offers RoIO for 20$/CD (only example). How many boots were on the 2TB hard drive? 2000 or 3000?
Then Dave had to get the RoIO. He spent a lot of time with it, electricity or RS account are not for free too... In this way can Dave get it (partially) back. That's why I think it's not about bootleg selling.
And did you download any boots from QB? Did Dave want you to pay anything? I downloaded many boots from here for free and I'm grateful for it. And that's the ground why I'm not complaining when Dave gets some more money for the hard drive. It's not for boots but for his hard work.
So, it's my opinion - you can discuss, you can disagree, but it's all you can do. ;-)
Tomas
I agree 100% with Tomas. I too am curious if Mr Grumbler downloaded many shows back when the site was live...for free (of course). Anything auctioned on ebay can sell for higher or lower than a 'standard' price. If the drive had sold for only $25...would you have said the buyer got a good deal on the boots or the drive ? Your points make very little sense. Just my opinion
ReplyDeleteMr. Dave,
ReplyDeleteHaven't been by in a while, only to show up after the party is over, and the trash binned.
You have my deepest thanks for all your effort. There are _many_ recordings that I have come to cherish, and would not have otherwise.
It is good that _you_ saw yourself having left The Path. It is beyond words that _you_ have decided to live your faith.
With Blessing, Peace, Love, and Light...
Mike Nomad
LOL...!! Yeah... Let's see how much he would have gotten for them without any mention whatsoever about them being full of music files. Better yet, sell them under a totally anonymous ID without any connection to this blog here. See what you get then. Not that I begrudge Dave one bit. I'm just taking a stand for the truth.
ReplyDeleteSee.... I think "Mr Grumbler's" points make sense. And I think they do to you, too.
Thank you for the promotion to Mr. Grumbler. I had to chuckle.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your support.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the last few years of dedicated hard work. You have provided my family with many a superb concert. You will be sorely missed.
ReplyDeleteDave is not selling the bootlegs, he don't want to get paid for them, but just for all the hard work to get them on his HD. Just allow hom to get something back for all he did for others ! That would not even be his present for sharing, that's just what he deserves !
ReplyDeleteThank you Dave. I will be posting some of the music you shared- Floyd, Rush- on other sites so your work will endure. It really has been a pleasure to come here and look through a lot of different bands. Some I'm in to, some I'm not. But always interesting. One the most exciting things I've come across in the last few years is finding concerts I have been to, a few have been here. I can't hear myself, but I know I'm there.
ReplyDeleteWe will miss you. Peace and long life.
See you next time around.
John.
Dave. You have given all of us so much pleasure. To come here and always find something cool. I know it took a lot of time, energy and commitment. I wish you the very best and I thank you so much. You rock dude.
ReplyDelete